Thursday 30 September 2010

Arcadia @ The Library Theatre @ The Lowry

And so to The Lowry, for Tom Stoppard's Arcadia. It was great to see The Library Theatre's first production since its temporary relocation: putting it politely, the basement space in the Central Library was getting so tired and unfit for purpose, it was beginning to make the company look a bit amateurish. Last time I saw something there (Tom's Midnight Garden, I think), the set looked so flimsy, my heart was in my mouth every time a door slammed shut.

I'm writing a story for The Stage about the move, so you'll excuse me if I don't go into too much detail as yet. I'll link when they publish. But the idea is thus: three productions a year at The Lowry until 2014, when hopefully LTC will move into the Theatre Royal on Peter Street, which has been operating as an amusingly cheesy nightclub for years (I went there when it was Discotheque Royale, and just about survived). I hope the move comes off, although I can't help but think a completely new space - like The Lowry - might end up being cheaper and better. Refurbishing and running Victorian buildings is never easy.

Anyway, the relocation to The Lowry throws up one other issue - greater expectations. Next week, after all, Arcadia is in the same building as The National Theatre On Tour's version of Alan Bennett's The Habit Of Art. Not everyone in Chris Honer's production was up to the task, but those that were - particularly Charlie Anson as Septimus Hodge - suggest that The Library's focus should be on unearthing exciting new acting talent in the next four years.

Here's the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment